Wednesday, March 7, 2018

THE ALLKNOWING AND ME




THE ALL KNOWING AND ME

Please don’t take me wrong. By all knowing I do not mean the Almighty. I mean a friend of mine who has a knack for raising questions and seeking answers for them. Yesterday night at about 10 p m he arrived without any notice as usual. Well friends need not give notice but then there is some etiquette. I fear him as much as I respect him. Fear, because he can drop-in any time and respect because as I said he is all knowing.
To cut it short, he knocked at the door and called me by name and I had no option but to open the door. Before I could offer him a seat he shot – do you know what is the space between the eyebrows is called? I said I duuno. He said –what is the metallic or plastic end of the shoelaces is called? I said I dunno. He asked –what is cry of a new born is called? I said –cry. He said wrong! He asked what is the dot on an i or a j is called. I said –dot. He said wrong. He asked many such questions and I had no answers. He castigated me for my lack of knowledge even though I call myself an educated person. I offered him a cup of tea in the meanwhile, anyway.
Long back, travelling in a Mini Bus in Kolkata the school girls sitting on the row before me were chatting. One of them said it is not at all necessary to know everything. For example if we want to know the trains between Kolkata and Delhi we can find out from the Railway Time table or enquiry when we go. No use knowing things that we do not or may not need.
She had a point.  It’s better to know what is actually essential. As it is becoming tough to pass the exams, why increase the load?  
But it was different with this all knowing friend of mine. Every time he met me he made feel inferior. There was so much to know and so little I know. I thought enough is enough and I must confront him in one of these days.
He turned up one evening and as usual asked what the oldest language in the world is? For a change it is Tamil but I said Mother tongue. As expected he said wrong. I countered-no, I am right. The oldest language cannot be other than mother tongue. The first mother in this planet talked to her first born in a language that no one knew but the child understood it. It has continued since then. The mother and child speak in a language which is oldest, eternal and universal. How can any other language claim that position?
He has not visited me again since then. Now what is my fault?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...