Tuesday, August 24, 2010

WHEN NEED BECOMES GREED

WHEN NEED BECOMES GREED



Leo Tolstoy in his story “How Much land Does a Man Need” seems to convey that a man does not need more than six feet long and may be three feet wide land for his grave. Greed drives a simple peasant to accept a proposal to own as much land as he can cover in a day from day break to sunset with the condition that he has to return to the starting point before sunset. Greed takes him to as far as he thought he can cover but by the time he returns to the starting point he is totally exhausted and falls dead on the ground. He is buried there itself.

Seen in this context, it is rather difficult to understand why people accumulate vast wealth in form of landed properties, stocks, cash, jewellery etc. It is true that a man needs only six feet by six feet land if to be burried and not even that if to be cremated after his death but the issue is not that simple during his life time. In some communities burial/cremation expenses have become so exhorbitant that even death seems to be a very costly proposition. Some guys make financial arrangements for all such expenses before their death. It is not however of little consequence after one is dead be it prestige or peace or heavenly journey or any which name we would like to call it. Thousands of people die and get buried /cremated without any rites whatsoever.

The question, therefore is how much is enough? I officially retired at the age of 58 as per company rules and was given 8 six monthly extentions and finally allowed to retire at the age of 62. My employers wanted me to continue as long as my health permitted but I had different take and they had to accept my request. The CMD remarked “you seem to have enough savings” to which I replied “Sir, ‘enough’ has different meaning for different people. I think I have enough to sail through for rest of my life. I want to visit various places which I would not be in a position to do with all the official work to attend to. I would not like to make commitments that I can not fulfill. We have equally efficient people in our team who can take over anytime. One of them must get the opportunity.” He smiled and we shook hands.

Well I have no regrets. I have been in a position to maintain the same standard of living I was used to . In fact, during the last 7 years after retirement I have been in a position to visit various places of tourist and religious importance . I have been in a position to visit my grand children 4 times in the USA and stayed with them for as long as six months in a very carefree environment. It would not have been possible if I had official commitments staring at me from a distance.

This may be okay for me but not for many. Some may have unmarried sons or daughters. Some may have no roof over their heads. Some may have no savings at all. Some may be facing health problems. People take up jobs after retirement to supplement their income in order to live a comfortable life and meet other obligations.

There are people for whom enough is never enough when it comes to wealth and comforts. A friend of mine has a Maruti Swift but he is worried that he does not have money to buy a Toyota Innova. The other friend wants a large house with a swimming pool. This satisfies their ego. They also want to secure the future of their nextr generation.

Then there are people who never feel secure and are always under constant fear of losing their wealth and power and therefore continue grabbing more and more. The very fresh case is that of Ms Mayawati, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, India. An ordinary school teacher has reached to this position which by itself is very commendable and is possible in a Democracy only. What is disturbing is the fact that she has amassed huge wealth and does not stop multiplying it by all means, fair or faul. She claims that all her wealth is legal gifts from her Party workers and admirers. She spends huge monies from Public exchequer to build her statues and that of her mentor Mr Kansi Ram., the founder of her Party ,Bahujan Samaj Party. She collects money for allotting tickets for election, for her Birth days and she does it with all pomp and show least caring about the people or the media or the law.

So we have three categories of people who accumulate wealth :

1. For their genuine needs.
2. For their inflated egos and for their next generation.
3. For the fear of losing wealth or power.

“Sai itna dijiye, ja me dowoo smaya,
Ghar bhi bhooka na rahe, panthi na bhooka jaye”

(God ! give me so much as to satisfy the hunger of both,
my family and any passerby)

It is only fair that anything over and above the above should be used for public good. One should act as a custodian of the wealth he has earned by fair means and not the squanderer. We should thank God for having granted the capabilities to be more fortunate than many. You will be the sole decider of how much is enough for you.



H. P. Lakhera
Delhi, March 18, 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Hari Lakhera Saheb,
    By drawing lesson from Leo Tolstoy*s story-
    How much land a Man needs? and His answer that we need only 6ft+3ft of land for our last journey for resting in peace after life.Let us live our life with the dictum-Jeene ke Arzoo lekar Mare jaa rahe hai,Na Marne ke Arzoo lekar jiye ja rahe hai.Dr Martin Luther King,the Negro leader had once said that If we do not know, what to die for ,before we reach the age of thirty,,which denotes the middle of your life*s journey, then it depicts that your life is as good as a Dead man.
    Mahatma Gandhi rightly said that there is enough resources available on our Earth to meet our Needs,but not enough for our Avarice.He prescribed simple living ,and high thinking for ourliving life in full.He accepted the dictum we should always give more and always take less than what our goodwill a/c indicate,so that there is always an available Consumer Surplus with us always.Make saving a habit,so that sooner than later, all demands put on you by others will be met by you or its Solution could be attempted over a time bound action plan ,dependent on your inherent savings.
    Albert Einstein rightly said that in future,no one would ever believe that a man called Mahatma Gandhiji lived on this earth in flesh and blood,and that this frail, under clad leader of the masses could bring the Mighty British Empire to its knees,and force them to agree to leave India,
    that too through non violent Satyagraha movement.We should never bite any Thing ,which is too Big to Chew.,but if you have the patronage of the masses,then nothing is too Big to Bite.One*s real worth is not on your possessions of Gold,or other Material Possessions alone,but instead it is dependent on the regular turn over of our earnings,and the Cumulative Aggregate Growth Rate of our earnings ,which is the additive of all the yearly growth already achieved and included in our arriving the CAGR average.You learn to be ever avalable like the all pervading air all around us,so that you could inhale sufficient air to breath in ,to keep on track all
    pre-programmed function as our healthy body demands,and that you always get six hours of sound sleep to get back to your feet again for the next day*s agile schedule.
    A.Vaidhyanathan
    17-10-10
    email-avaidhyanathan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hari Lakhera Sir Today I wish to air my opinion on what impresses in my experiences in American environmentin plenty while the same is lacking in India.At the outset,I must admit that since my years were spent in India ,except for brief absence of say six months each on three previous occasions and since 12-2-2016 I am on my third jaunt to be of little assistance along with my wife,during her second confinement.Iam already a proud grandpa to my first grandson,Adhip.My perspectives on life in US is more on Arudh perspectives and my perspectives on India is more on the basis of Lagna perspectives.What should have been the ideal is to be rooted deeply into theb positives of both sides ofthe same coin.In US I find Non Resident Indians very enterprisingand individually contributive ,especially when I find egeryone very cozy botthbtheir employer and the State Department who have the final VISasay regarding thestatusofthrir VISa like H1B,L1 or H4 which only qualifies their continuance.All through my career in India,did I worry of any sort ofworry of any displacement out of the resident country.viz India.while
      ourpeople are ever conscious of their respective Arudha status too.In retrospect the extra burden of VISA that these immigrants carry on their respective shoulders makr them very productive both ij contentsand of quality,while in India during my 35 years of banking experience I used to be to be only be a positive contributor till the last day of my service periof without any fear or favour,meaning I was totally impervious of what my Arudh content is!!! Your comments are welcome..Vaidhyanathan- 7 - 3-2016.

      Delete
    2. Dear Hari Lakhera Sir Today I wish to air my opinion on what impresses in my experiences in American environmentin plenty while the same is lacking in India.At the outset,I must admit that since my years were spent in India ,except for brief absence of say six months each on three previous occasions and since 12-2-2016 I am on my third jaunt to be of little assistance along with my wife,during her second confinement.Iam already a proud grandpa to my first grandson,Adhip.My perspectives on life in US is more on Arudh perspectives and my perspectives on India is more on the basis of Lagna perspectives.What should have been the ideal is to be rooted deeply into theb positives of both sides ofthe same coin.In US I find Non Resident Indians very enterprisingand individually contributive ,especially when I find egeryone very cozy botthbtheir employer and the State Department who have the final VISasay regarding thestatusofthrir VISa like H1B,L1 or H4 which only qualifies their continuance.All through my career in India,did I worry of any sort ofworry of any displacement out of the resident country.viz India.while
      ourpeople are ever conscious of their respective Arudha status too.In retrospect the extra burden of VISA that these immigrants carry on their respective shoulders makr them very productive both ij contentsand of quality,while in India during my 35 years of banking experience I used to be to be only be a positive contributor till the last day of my service periof without any fear or favour,meaning I was totally impervious of what my Arudh content is!!! Your comments are welcome..Vaidhyanathan- 7 - 3-2016.

      Delete
  2. Well said Mr Vaidhyanathan. This is for your honor:
    "Sadiyon se insan ne jeene ke tarike sikhe,
    Jab jeene ke tarike seekh liye,
    Jeene ke irade chhod diye"

    ReplyDelete

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...