Friday, July 1, 2016

TRACING ROOTS



THE NEED FOR RETRACING ROOTS


In one of my whats app group friends are trying to find their roots. It may seem odd but I do not know the name of my Great Grandfather. I do not even know anything about my Grandfather and Grandmother except that both of them died in an epidemic when my father was just a kid. May be if they were alive and played with me I would have remembered them but I am sure I would have not bothered much about my lineage-the family tree. It was never discussed at home. I was satisfied to know who my parents were and since I did not belong to any kingly family or tribe, it never occurred to me that it was important. I have a vague idea, based on hearsay, of how and from where our ancestors came and settled in the village we were rooted in but rest was not neither asked nor followed.The more important thing was to know who we are and what we want to be or do in life and that too was not anyway greater than having good education, good job, marriage, children and so on. In the process we came out far away from our roots in all likely hood may never return.  

I understand in Haridwar and Varanasi the Pandas (priests) have records of many families but I am again not sure about their authenticity because there is no other way of vouching for it. Birth death records at Village level councils were either not maintained or got destroyed. 

I know it would be a great idea to know about one’s ancestors as to who they were, from where they came and why, how they settled in indifferent places and what they faced on their way to present times. 

I am now representing a generation that has passed over everything to the second and third generation. I am afraid the coming generation will be much more ignorant of their roots than my generation is. Present generation also has moved away farther than we did from their roots to the extent that they do not know if they had any root at all except to the country of their origin.

There are millions of passengers traveling in the same wagon unaware of their past beyond their parents. Some even do not know about their parentage. 

History is written by the winners and family lineage also is relevant to the winners only. For commoners like us, there are other ways of satisfying our ego-one of them being in search of that that has been lost in the whirlwind of time- a thankless, useless pursuit??????????????????   


2 comments:

  1. Respected dada ji , saadar pranaam. Its human nature to get interested in all those fields of knowledge that helps him to study his past , History has pivot role in our lives even though we have least knowledge of our ancestors but if one is crazy then he / she will do all the best acitivities wholeheartedly. A brief movie on your life is enough to polish ones thinking tank . Lakhera's are best in this regard I am bet sure ,
    Regards :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS. Sorry for delayed as I could not place you by name. I will be pleased to have your introduction.

      Delete

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...