Friday, January 31, 2014

SUBMISSION OF A DINNING SET



SUBMISSION OF A LONELY DINNING SET
Your Honor, in the name of God I swear I will speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
1.    My name is Dinning Set. I do not know why I was named as such because almost all meals from breakfast, lunch to dinner were served and taken on my marble top flat chest. I am inclusive of one flat table and a set of chairs. I would not go into my parentage but usually I am made of wood.
2.    World over there are different traditions of serving food. In India and in this household, where I belong to, it is said that in olden days food was normally served and taken in the kitchen. The guests/family members would sit on the ground in comfortable position, a small low height stool was placed in front of them and food served in a thali with saucers or on a banana leaf spread. With the advent of the British, the educated class brought a dinning set and usually placed it in the drawing/living room. The guests/family members sit on the chairs placed around the table and food is served as usual in thalies or banana leaves. In some households as in this household, thalies and banana leaves have been  replaced by porcelain or stainless steel plates and saucers.

3.    The basic idea was to have food together to follow the old adage ‘ those who eat together stay together.’ I remember Dadaji (Grand father-God save his soul) Dadiji (Grand mother) Bade Bhayya (elder brother), Manjhale bhayya (middle brother) Chhote Bhayya (Youngest brother) Chintu (elder brother’s son), Reena (elder brother’s daughter), Monu (Middle brother’s son) and Manav (youngest brother’s son) all sat on the 12 seater dinning table and would be served by the female members who usually cooked the food also. Dinner was an leisurely affair  while, breakfast and lunch were rather quick.
4.    It was around the dinner time that family issues were discussed, solutions found to controversial issues. Kids were encouraged, appreciated and at times mildly rebuked or lovingly poked. Decency and decorum was maintained but that did not debar members pulling each others legs. The atmosphere was jovial, serious or just right depending on the mood of the elders. Post dinner, there would be some more discussions before retiring to the bed.  This helped in knowing whatever is happening to each member of the family and take suitable action where ever required. Thus the family meeting would end with a promising note looking for a better tomorrow.
5.    Family business was flourishing as all the three brothers worked hard, talked to each other, consulted each other and in all cases rested the final decision with their  parents.
6.    It all started with when Chintu wanted to go abroad to pursue higher studies. He was advised to have formal education in the country only and fall in the footsteps of his elders and look after the family business. He however persisted with his desire and finally the family agreed to send him to UK for higher studies.
7.    Reena was a bright girl and she too wanted to pursue higher studies but the family decided to get her married once she reached the marriageable age. Her parents did not like it but agreed to the wishes of the elders. I am witness to her cries and anger.
8.    The youngest brother looked after the marketing aspect of the business while the elder one looked after the production and the middle one the purchases and sourcing. Competition was raising its head and profits were falling down.
9.    The blame game started. Marketing blamed the production for higher costs and production blamed the purchase and sourcing for the higher costs of inputs. Purchase blamed the production for higher wages and production costs and marketing for not working hard enough to get good deals and higher marketing costs.
10.                       The dinning time was now a war of wits among brothers. Dadiji did not understand the business anyway but was heart broken to see her sons shouting at each other. She too said good bye to all in her sleep.
11.                       There was no dinning time now. Everyone started calling food in his room and respective wives helped in furthering this divide.  I was a moot spectator and mostly remained unused for days. Once in a while some one would sit on a lonely chair, have a cup of coffee or some breakfast and that was all.
12.                       The process of separation was rather fast. The factory and the parental house were sold and the proceeds divided among the three brothers equally. Each one bought flats in the suburbs and started living separately. They started their small businesses.
13.                       No one agreed to take me along as I was too big for their small flats and of no use to small families. They sold me to a scrap dealer where I sit in a corner gathering dust waiting for a savior.
14.                       My  Lord ! Is it my fault that I am no more the pride of a well knit family? Is it fair that in my old age I should meet this fate? Have I not served them well when I was young and useful? At least they could have given me a decent cremation.
15.                       Finally My Lord I request you to find me a family who have time to eat together and stay together. With this hope I have come to Your Lordship. Please help me or arrange for my cremation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...