Sunday, May 19, 2013

THE HORIZON OF MY DREAMS-SHORT STORY- PART 3-THE END OF HORIZON. 3. THE END OF HORIZON

My child is no more a child. At least that is what I am made to understood in the language of a teenager. You should not worry so much for me Mom. I am grown up and can take care of myself. Dad’s DNA!!! You should take care of yourself. Look at yourself. You are just 30 and you look 50. Why don’t you have friends? Why does the smile fade away from your face, the moment we say goodbye? Do you think I don’t understand? Cheer up Mom! I want you to be smiling, cheerful and beautiful looking at all times of the day, even when I am away to school. Promise? This is how the summer vacations ended with a few words of advice from my growing up child. Back to the same crushing routine! I am, however, finding some changes in me. I dress well now. Return home immediately after office, cook the meals I like and wish I could share it with someone who cares. The past is all I have or is it the present? Does my present has a future and who will be responsible for that? I look around and find no one, not even my son. One day he too will be ‘gone’. He will have a career, a family and perhaps a place for me too. I am my own shadow. He seems to be a nice person. He has just taken over as a Head of the Business Division. He does have attitude but then he can afford it. The restructuring process that he has initiated calls for reduction of work force and relocation too. He thinks I am good enough to take charge of a branch but that means leaving the town and going far away from my son. I explain to him that career is not so important to me, my son is. He could understand. I never try to know anything personal about him except that his wife does not live with him. He does not seem to be worried about it. He is sort of a workaholic. He is the first to reach the office and last to go. Higher management is happy with his work. He has so many success stories to his credit. He does not show any personal interest. Times passes so vaguely. We have an annual office party to celebrate the successful year. After a few words of official jargons, we are left to enjoy the evening. I do not why but I thought of giving a try to a glass of wine. I do not know when and how took another glass offered by him. He can be so sporty and copious, I never anticipated. The party gave us an opportunity to open up. We are coming nearer to each other. He invites me to a late dinner on the weekend and I willingly accept it. We keep our meetings as discrete as possible. We do not want any problem in the office. He is as lonely as I am and both have the right to be happy. Old days of happiness seem to be returning. He is so caring. I think I have got my wings again. I can fly again and touch the horizons. I am pregnant and tell him so. You should have been careful, he says. I do not complain. I should have been careful in the first place. He looks worried, lest I may try to take advantage of him and his position. I am told that he has asked for a transfer. Management does not want to lose him and therefore agrees to his request. Don’t worry I tell him. It was my problem. I show him the termination of pregnancy certificate. I am not sure how he felt but I know there is no horizon. I know because I have taken many strides towards it but could never touch it. I will have to look for my horizon within myself. Concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...