Tuesday, July 5, 2011

TO GIVE OR NOT TO GIVE

TO GIVE OR NOT TO GIVE
I am often in a dilemma ‘to give or not to give’ when it comes to dropping a few coins in the extended hands of a beggar. Many emotions envelope my mind simultaneously- pity, anger, frustration and indifference. Pity on the condition of the beggar, anger because he/she is able bodied and can work, frustration because it has not been possible to eliminate begging and indifference because I am so helpless. These emotions at times run parallel with the result that I end up dropping one or two coins only to repent later on when anger replaces pity. Many a times these emotions travel with me until such time I come across another beggar and then the process restarts.
I am sure most of us go through this dilemma. Some of us by dint of sheer habit drop the coins with a hope that with our little help the beggar to buy his meal and we will be rewarded for our actions in this or in our next life. Some of us think such actions encourage more beggars in the streets and it is duty of the Government to help these unfortunate people. Some resent because begging has become an organized business and profession run by hard core criminals.
Whatever, the dilemma remains.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Language of Love and Hate.

Universal Language of Love and Hate. Sometimes, I wonder, why humans developed languages or even need them? If we look back, we will realize...